Published: Tue, April 18, 2017
Sports | By Nelson Rowe

Germany probes 'Islamist' after Dortmund match

Germany probes 'Islamist' after Dortmund match

The first leg of the quarter-final was postponed on Tuesday after Dortmund's team bus was caught up in an apparently targeted attack using explosives when departing the team hotel for Signal Iduna Park, with Marc Bartra having to undergo surgery on a fractured wrist as a result of the blast. He has been back in training since Sunday and will play against Frankfurt, Tuchel said.

Sokratis Papastathopoulos suggested he felt Dortmund players had been treated like "animals", while Monaco boss Leonardo Jardim admitted it was hard for the players to concentrate as his side secured a 3-2 victory.

On Wednesday, Tuchel was stinging in his criticism of UEFA for going ahead with the Champions League game so soon after the attack.

Borussia Dortmund's anger about being forced to play a day after a bomb attack on its bus was contested by European soccer's governing body, which insisted the German team agreed to the rapid rescheduling of its Champions League quarterfinal against Monaco on Wednesday. He was the only player to receive serious injuries in the attack.

Two minutes after Fabinho had missed an early penalty, sweeping wide without testing the goalkeeper to ruin his 100% record from the spot this season, Mbappe bundled home from close range, though the teenager was arguably offside.

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Nuri Sahin also gave an emotional but powerful interview after the game.

"Minutes after the attacks the only question was whether the game could go through or not".

"I know football is very important, we love football, we suffer with football. and I know we earn a lot of money, we have a privileged life". Until I was on the pitch in the second half, I did not think about football to be honest.

"Most of the guys slept as little as I did", said Weigl. But one shouldn't forget that we are human beings.

"There was no other possibility (to play the game later)".

Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim stressed the tie was far from over while acknowledging the match would largely be remembered for the incidents that occurred in the build-up. "It felt lousy. And that sticks with us", revealed an angry Tuchel about the re-fixing of the game. "We haven't won anything yet".

Like this: