Published: Wed, April 19, 2017
U.S. | By Eddie Scott

McDonald's drive-thru pit stop leads to Facebook killer

McDonald's drive-thru pit stop leads to Facebook killer

Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg pledged on Tuesday that his company would do all it could to prevent postings of incidents like Sunday's fatal shooting in Cleveland, which was visible on the social media site for two hours.

Police would not speculate on what was behind the killing, but in the video and other footage he posted, Stephens talked about losing everything he had to gambling and having trouble with his girlfriend.

"Not because he needed the money, it was just something he did", said 52-year-old Debbie Godwin.

The break in the case came when police received a tip that Stephens's vehicle was in the McDonald's auto park in Erie, in the north-western corner of the state, about 100 miles east of Cleveland, authorities said.

Lane said it has been hard watching her name dominate social media, where her connection to the killer became a topic of discussion over the weekend.

"I'm not happy he's dead at all, not at all".

The woman believed to be associated has said she is "overwhelmed" by the tragedy.

Facebook slaying suspect Steve Stephens was undone by a 20-piece Chicken McNuggets and an order of fries. Stephens pulled up to the next window, where restaurant owner Thomas DuCharme Jr. and a supervisor tried stalling him by telling him his fries were delayed.

Stephens killed himself, authorities said. He took his McNuggets and whipped out of the parking lot, almost hitting Gail Wheeler, 54, a retail operations manager from Erie who was on her way home from the grocery store.

In interviews before Stephens' death, Godwin's relatives said they forgave his killer. He fled and the troopers gave chase. The Ford Fusion did a half-turn and came to rest at the curb.Police were starting to get out of their cruisers when "I heard a shot". She then saw officers approach the vehicle.

The officer closest to the auto "just shook his head", she said. "They had their guns out, but when he shook his head, they lowered their guns".

Law enforcement officials had said on Monday that Stephens's mobile phone was last tracked on Sunday afternoon near Erie. The chilling video was on Facebook for three hours before it was taken down.

"This is something that should not have been shared around the world". In the video, Stephens told his victim to say the name of his girlfriend, saying, "She's the reason why this is about to happen to you". Godwin did not seem to recognize the name.

Like this: