Published: Fri, April 21, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

IS claims responsibility for Paris shooting

IS claims responsibility for Paris shooting

"Other policemen engaged and shot and killed the attacker".

French police said the attack was probably a "terrorist act" and dramatic video footage captured the moment police shot at the assailant, who later died. An attacker with an autom.

France has been in a state of emergency since the ISIS Paris attacks in November 2015.

In addition to the assault rifle used in the attack, a pump action shotgun and knives were in his auto, the police sources said.

He then began running away and injured two other officers before got shot in an exchange of fire with the police.

The main candidates called off rallies on what would have been the final day of campaigning. Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve accused her of trying to capitalize on the attack.

"The whole of Europe is targeted because it represents the values and ideals of peace", he said.

Attack came days before first round of voting in presidential election.

French television networks reported that he was a 39-year-old French national known for previous violent crimes. A truck ploughed into people in Nice on Bastille Day past year killing more than 80 people while coordinated attacks across Paris including the Bataclan concert hall claimed about 130 lives in November 2015. Delivery trucks were making their rounds.

Describing the incident, witnesses said how a auto parked next to a police transport vehicle before a man got out and began firing an automatic weapon, killing one policeman and injuring another - plus a passing female tourist.

At 9 p.m., the officers were stopped at a traffic light on the Champs-Elysees - a bustling boulevard popular with tourists and famed for its luxury stores and eateries.

Thousands of troops and armed police have been deployed to guard tourist hot spots such as the Champs Elysees or other potential targets like government buildings and religious sites.

GETTYThousands of supporters turned out to see Le Pen's last rally before Sunday's vote
GETTYThousands of supporters turned out to see Le Pen's last rally before Sunday's vote

One officer was killed and two more injured, as well as a German woman whose foot was injured.

Islamic State claimed it was responsible for the attack and named Abu Yusuf al Beljiki as the attacker - though it is believed this could be a pseudonym for Cheurfi.

Cops killed the shooter at the scene - and said he was someone they had previously flagged as an extremist.

The home of a 39-year-old man is now being searched, according to a police document obtained by the Associated Press (AP).

Police tape surrounded the quiet, middle-class area and neighbours expressed surprise at the searches.

Belgian Interior Minister Jan Jambon said on Friday morning that any hypothesis is not excluded: "The investigation is underway".

Cheurfi was detained two months ago after speaking threateningly about the police but released for lack of evidence, according to two police officials, speaking to AP on condition of anonymity.

A key question was how the attack might affect French voters, since campaigning is banned starting Friday at midnight.

Le Pen has made immigration and security a core part of her campaign.

The far-right presidential candidate in France, Marine Le Pen, has condemned what she calls security lapses, as the nation prepares to vote in the shadow of a terror attack.

The two top finishers on Sunday advance to a winner-takes-all presidential run-off on May 7.

Like this: