Published: Fri, April 21, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

Syrian kids among 126 killed in bombing

Syrian kids among 126 killed in bombing

A Madaya resident, speaking from the bus garage inside Aleppo, said people had been waiting there since late on Friday, and were not being allowed to leave.

People had been stranded at two transit points on the outskirts of Aleppo after an agreement between the warring sides stalled.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 24 were killed.

This frame grab from video provided by the Thiqa News Agency, shows rebel gunmen gathered at the site of a blast that damaged several buses and vans at the Rashideen area, a rebel-controlled district outside Aleppo city, Syria, Saturday, April. So far, according to the BBC, no one has claimed responsibility for this horrific attack.

Both Pope Francis and the World Council of Churches head on Easter Sunday called for Christians to work and pray for those who can bring about peace to end the carnage in the seven year Syrian civil war. A rebel fighter stands near buses carrying people evacuated from the two villages of Kefraya and FoahImage copyrightREUTERS Image caption Dozens of buses are being used in the evacuation The evacuees are meant to be transferred to rebel-held territory in Idlib province.

More than 3,000 Syrians were expected to be evacuated yesterday from four areas as part of a population transfer that was briefly stalled the day before by a deadly blast that killed scores of people, majority government supporters.

Local media has said that a suicide bomber carried out the blast.

The rebel group Ahrar al-Sham tweeted that some of its members died in the blast. "When the explosion happened I hugged them both and we fell to the floor", she told AFP by telephone from near Aleppo.

Abdul Rahman said he doesn't believe the Syrian regime is behind the attack.

The blast, which struck buses of people who were leaving their towns as part of a rebel-regime swap, also injured 55 others in Rashidin, a suburb of Aleppo in northwestern Syria, according to Syria Civil Defense, also known the White Helmets.

A resident of Zabadani - another rebel-held town to be evacuated - Amer Burhan saids no evacuation had even taken place from there. Some 3,000 more civilians are still in Foua and Kefraya and are expected to be evacuated soon. The convoy was granted free passage from two Shia-dominated villages captured by rebels.

The deals are unpopular with the Syrian opposition, who say they amount to forced displacement of Assad's opponents from Syria's main urban centers in the west of the country.

We urge all parties involved in to guarantee the safety of people who are now seeking for safer places and call for prosecution of those responsible for this attack, he said.

Like this: