Published: Tue, May 16, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

Chibok girl to be reunited with family after three years

Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, yesterday led key stakeholders and elders from Chibok community to the Department of State Services (DSS) medical centre where they met with the 82 schoolgirls freed by Boko Haram three years after their violent abduction from Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State in April, 2014.

Chibok schoolgirls, recently freed from Nigeria extremist captivity, are photographed in Abuja, Nigeria, Monday May 8, 2017.

On Saturday, 82 of the Chibok schoolgirls were released.

A new video published by global media outfit CNN on Thursday shows some of the Chibok girls released by the terrorist group Boko Haram in 2016 in a government facility.

"Those saying we are not allowing them access are not the direct parents of the girls; we can not bring anybody to see them apart from their biological parents, allowing visitors everyday will not allow them to heal fast".

He also urged the worldwide community to continue supporting the government of Nigeria in its efforts to ensure the release, rehabilitation, and reintegration of all Boko Haram victims.

Responding on behalf of her colleagues, Rhoda Chibok, thanked the federal government for ensuring their safe return and appealed for the rescue of all Nigerians held in captivity by the insurgents.

The young women are joining those released earlier in government care in Abuja, where they are undergoing medical screening that will take a couple of weeks, Ms Alhassan said. We will work with the federal government and your parents to determine what is best for you. "I really want to see my daughter, but I can't come unless with government invitation".

Families say 113 of the Chibok schoolgirls remain missing.

Thousands of people have been killed and about 1.6 million driven from their homes during the eight-year insurgency by Boko Haram.

But in Chibok, their home region in north-eastern Nigeria, not everyone has access to the social media site.

They did go back to Chibok at Christmas time a year ago, but they were held in the house of a local politician and the families had to go there to see them.

But families remain in Chibok, some 900 kilometers (559 miles) from the capital, Abuja. Writing in the New York Times, Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani said: "The campaign made them famous and, as a result, precious to the jihadists".

The government said people denied access were not their biological parents, adding that they will swap more Boko Haram members for the remaining girls if they have to do it again.

The girls who were freed on Saturday are undergoing rehabilitation similar to that of their peers who were released in October.

A daycare centre within the facility is also seeing to the welfare of the kids born to 4 of the 21 Chibok girls released after the first round of successful negotiations with Boko Haram in October 2016.

Like this: