Published: Wed, May 17, 2017
Culture | By Stewart Greene

7yo girl's tongue removed from Disney mug with hacksaw

7yo girl's tongue removed from Disney mug with hacksaw

A Kirkintilloch schoolgirl is recovering after being rushed to the hospital when her tongue became jammed in a Disney screw-top cup.

Speaking to RT she said that after some recovery time Megan is now over her injuries and back at school.

Natalie says she is anxious that the same thing could happen to other children.

Her mother Natalie Donald, 31, described the shock and surprise of seeing her daughter in pain from such an innocuous source and urged Disney to recall the product especially as others have since contacted her with similar experiences.

"I had never seen anything like it before".

It wasn't even for budging and we couldn't even unscrew the bottom of the cup because it created some kind of suction when she was drinking.

"She was screaming and I had to hold her down".

'The ambulance advised us to lie her down as it would help stop the swelling and also help to calm her down.

She was unable to speak properly for several hours and unable to eat properly for days after being released.

'I was quite anxious because I had no idea about how we were going to get it off'.

In a panic, Megan's mom Natalie rushed to the school where anxious teachers struggled to remove the mug.

The Monsters Inc cup, based on a film where creatures collect children's screams, had to be removed by hospital staff with a hacksaw and drill after bolt cutters failed to do the job.

Megan's tongue started to turn'purple after being trapped for a number of hours in the cup's lid
Megan's tongue started to turn'purple after being trapped for a number of hours in the cup's lid

An ambulance took Megan and her mom to the Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow.

After four hours Megan was finally free after a dentist drill was used to cut a line in the plastic allowing the youngster to pull away.

And they even considered taking her into the theater when the lid wouldn't come off at first.

'They gave her a few injections around her tongue. That was quite painful for her.

The house of mouse giant said all the mugs have been removed from sale, as well as other similar items, but a full recall has yet to be initiated, BBC Scotland reported.

'They were quite concerned about doing that because they couldn't get any tubes in her mouth for her to breath under the anesthetic.

The pupil was given medication to reduce the pain as medics used bolt cutters and a hacksaw to free Megan. And as there were no ventilation holes, the cup could not be moved. I was so relieved.

Megan's tongue was left bruised and swollen after the incident.

"I have never seen anything like it before".

'My main concern was that there would be permanent damage. "I just want to warn people about them", she said.

'But the doctor did say the tongue is quite resilient muscle'.

Like this: