Published: Thu, May 18, 2017
Health | By Jay Jacobs

Second Ebola case in Congo confirmed

Second Ebola case in Congo confirmed

He called on states to begin social mobilization and media awareness efforts, via TV, Radio, Print and Social Media.

An Ebola outbreak in Congo appears to be limited to a remote area, making travel or trade restrictions unnecessary for the time being, the World Health Organization said Saturday.

"Similarly, the minister encourages members of the public to observe a high level of personal hygiene which includes regular hand washing and to also report all cases of fever to the nearest health facility". He explained that patients with more severe cases would show bleeding under the skin, internal organs or even from mouth and ears.

The Ebola virus was first discovered near the River Ebola in 1976 in northern Democratic Republic of Congo, then known as Zaire.

So far, three individuals have reportedly died; there are two confirmed cases and 17 other suspected cases.

The Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC) has said, there will be special screening of people travelling into Nigeria from the port as the federal government has already given the directive.

He said NCDC had been strengthening states capacities to detect, manage and respond to hemorrhagic fevers, including Lassa fever.

Both Congo and its western neighbor, Republic of Congo, have experienced Ebola outbreaks in the past and worldwide organizations have said they are ready to assist in the event of an epidemic.

Yakubu also assured that all the preventive measures being put in place at the airports were still in place.

It was not immediately clear how the first victim, a deceased male, caught the virus, although past outbreaks have been linked to contact with infected bush meat such as apes.

In 2014, Nigeria recorded cases of the disease after a Liberian, Patrick Sawyer, imported it to the country.

Like this: