Published: Fri, May 19, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

Ohio boy, 5, helped save parents who were overdosing

Ohio boy, 5, helped save parents who were overdosing

Middletown Police detailed the "very disturbing call" in a Facebook post on Thursday.

The young child was barefoot and knocked on his step-grandfather's door and told him that his parents were dead. "All of a sudden, he starts saying, 'Mom and Dad's dead, Mom and Dad's dead!'"

The step-grandfather, Kenneth Currey, rushed to the house and found the boy's parents, Lee Johnson and Chelsie Marshall, passed out on the floor, one in the bathroom and the other in the hallway.

The couple had overdosed on heroin while getting ready for work, according to the Middletown Division of Police, and Aidan's quick thinking likely saved their lives - as well as that of his 3-month-old sister, who was already buckled in her vehicle seat when the couple overdosed.

Both parents were revived with Narcan.

After seven doses of Narcan, police said Marshall did not wake up.

Middletown Police Chief Rodney Muterspaw said the situation could have ended far worse.

Police say the couple acknowledged using heroin. "But the kids got help and thankfully for him. because if they would have passed, or if they would have died, who knows what was going to happen to that three month old baby in the vehicle seat, or how long she would have been there", Middletown Police Chief Rodney Muterspaw said.

"This 5-year-old child, a hero, saved three lives today", police wrote online.

Police gave Aidan a badge for his help and also shared several links to resources for people who need help getting off heroin. They were jailed on child-endangering charges.

"We are sick and exhausted of some people not caring about their kids enough to allow this to happen", police said. Their bond was set at $50,000 each.

Like this: