Published: Mon, June 19, 2017
U.S. | By Eddie Scott

After jury deadlocks, Bill Cosby faces 2nd sex assault trial

After jury deadlocks, Bill Cosby faces 2nd sex assault trial

The jurors, who spent 53 hours debating whether Cosby was guilty or innocent, told Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas Judge Steven O'Neill they could not reach unanimous verdicts on whether Cosby was guilty of three counts of aggressive indecent assault against college administrator Andrea Constand at his home near Philadelphia in 2004.

However, the trial only focused on allegations brought forth by Andrea Constand, former director of operations for Temple University's women's basketball team.

Bill Cosby's lawyer repeatedly demanded a mistrial in his sex assault trial as five days of deliberations on the fate of the man once known as America's Dad pushed into Father's Day weekend, but the judge said there was no precedent to shut down the jury's talks.

"I will forever hold you dear in my heart and be grateful for what you have done for the justice system", the judge told the jurors, who were selected last month in Pittsburgh and have been sequestered here since the trial began June 5.

On the opposite side of drama from Camille Cosby, more than half a dozen women who have publicly asserted that they were sexually assaulted by the comedian appeared in court as spectators during the trial to support Constand.

His deposition was unsealed in 2015, prompting prosecutors to reopen the criminal case.

Troiani acknowledged the difficulty of the case, given the passage of time and the impact of the alleged drugging on Constand's ability to recall details. She also asked for privacy for her and her family.

"How do I describe the District Attorney?"

Cosby was the first black actor to star in a network show, I Spy, in the 1960s and created The Cosby Show two decades later.

In 2005, prosecutors declined to charge Cosby based on Constand's account that the celebrity offered her unidentified pills that left her unable to stop his advances.

NY lawyer Paul Callan, a former prosecutor, said he thinks it will be "exceptionally difficult" for the state to win a second trial against Cosby.

At least 10 women have pending civil claims against Cosby in lawsuits filed in California and MA. She called the judge overtly arrogant and collaborating with the district attorney.

"The vitriol in it to me was over the top considering that (more than 50) accusers came forward and Cosby was not found innocent".

The statement goes on to say, in part, "We are confident that these proceedings have given a voice to the many victims who felt powerless and silenced". Prosecutors reportedly intend to seek retrial of the case, but the result is a blow to Cosby's many accusers and women like them who too often face uphill battles in their fight for justice after reporting sex crimes. "T he prosecution needed 12 for a verdict - the defense only needed one for a mistrial".

"I want other persons who believe that (they) are assault victims of anyone to report it and stay strong", Allred added.

The criminal case against Mr Cosby partly stems from the accuser's related lawsuit. "I'm sorry it's causing everyone frustration, but the law requires that I allow a deliberating jury to continue to deliberate". "I hope that the prosecution will try this case again". She issued a statement calling District Attorney Kevin Steele "heinously and exploitively ambitious".

Like this: