Published: Mon, June 19, 2017
U.S. | By Eddie Scott

Vigil for woman shot by Seattle police draws dozens

Williams told TV station KOMO News that her Lyles suffered from untreated "mental health issues" and was arrested earlier in June for obstruction and harassment because she would not "let go of her baby" in front of officers until Williams arrived. She died at the scene. The statement also revealed that there were several children in the apartment at the time, who were unharmed and are now being cared for by family members.

She said Lyles had "mental health issues" that were going untreated.

When they arrived, police say the woman had a knife. The woman can be heard telling the officers the door was unlocked.

A police spokesman did not immediately respond to a e-mail asking whether the officers on June 5 were the same officers who shot Lyles on Sunday. Two officers fired, hitting the victim. The Seattle Police Department tells the Times that both officers are white.

Photos of Lyles and her children were posted on black plastic chairs and people brought placards that read Black Lives Matter, a movement that grew out of protests against the police killings of unarmed black men in a number of cities across the United States.

A 32-year-old woman is dead after suffering a gunshot wound to the chest and abdomen at 6800 62nd Street near Magnuson Park in Seattle Sunday morning. "There's no way you could've taken a baton and knocked the knife out of her hand?"

Authorities said that both officers had been placed on administrative leave.

Lyles's sister, Monika Williams, told the Seattle Times that her sister, who was three months pregnant with her fifth child, was not big enough to be a threat to officers. The children were identified by family as two boys and a girl, ages 11, 4 and 1.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray vowed a full investigation into the fatal shooting. But the DOJ in April touted "initial compliance", with its court-ordered monitor marking a "major milestone" in reforming use of force.

The Seattle Police Department has been operating under a federal consent decree since 2012, when a Department of Justice investigation found that officers used regular and widespread excessive force on the job, reported the Seattle Times.

Like this: