Published: Sat, July 15, 2017
Health | By Jay Jacobs

BC Wildfire evacuees asked to register early

BC Wildfire evacuees asked to register early

"All of us jumped on it pretty quick".

Almost all evacuation orders have been called off for three major fires across California as dozens of wildfires throughout the West were coming under control.

As of right now, there are 16 evacuation orders and six evacuation alerts within the Cariboo Regional District.

More than 14,000 people have been displaced by wildfires from Princeton in the south to Quesnel in central B.C.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the creation of a new ad hoc cabinet committee to co-ordinate the federal government's response to the fires, including recovery and rebuilding efforts.

"The Red Cross by the end of today expects to have cash out to 1,800 families that have registered. The safety of residents is our top priority when we decide to activate orders and alerts or keep them in place", said CRD chair Al Richmond. A few dozen homes remained under evacuation orders for the second fire in the area, burning near Lake Cachuma.

Active fires are not fully under control yet, but Chief Information Officer Kevin Skrepnek with the BC Wildfire Service says progress has been made on some which have been threatening homes.

The last provincial declaration of state of emergency was issued in August 2003 to deal with wildfires. Numerous same people had been forced to flee this spring from the possibility of major flooding from a damaged dam spillway. More than 223 wildfires started over just two days. "So we're more than happy to assist when they call us up".

He said 60 of the band's 280 members stayed to fight the fire.

"We weren't prepared for it of course because it happened in a blink of an eye, but we snapped into action and everyone did their part", he said.

Like this: