Published: Mon, July 17, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

Bahrain strongly condemns Israel's Al-Aqsa Friday prayers ban

Bahrain strongly condemns Israel's Al-Aqsa Friday prayers ban

Meanwhile, a Palestinian was killed in the West Bank village of Nabi Saleh, and another arrested, after he allegedly opened fire on Israeli forces during an overnight raid Sunday.

The closure came after a deadly shooting during which three Palestinians and two Israeli police were killed near the mosque.

"The people of the United States are heartbroken that terrorists brutally gunned down two Israeli police officers", said Press Secretary Sean Spicer.

Israeli restrictions on Muslim entry have prompted rioting in Palestinian areas, and previous Israeli efforts taken in response to violence at the site have strained relations with Jordan.

The three attackers, Arab Israelis aged between 19 and 29, were shot dead by police.

The compound is the holiest site in Judaism and the third-holiest in Islam.

Mahmoud Abbas, president of the Palestinian Authority, reportedly called Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and condemned the attack.

Two officers killed in Friday's attack were neamed as Haiel Sitawe, 30 and Sergeant Master Kamil Shnaan, 22, both of whom were from Druze villages in northern Israel.

The site is known to Jews as Temple Mount and to Muslims as Noble Sanctuary.

Israeli occupation authorities then closed Al-Aqsa Mosque banning Friday prayer in it for the first time since 1969.

The prayer eventually turned into a rally as the demonstrators chanted: "God is great!" and "Al-Aqsa belongs to the Muslims!"

"Near the Lions Gate, policemen led us to three men injured with bullet wounds", statements by paramedics Israel Weingarten and Aaron Adler, cited by the Israeli television station Arutz Sheva, said.

"The attack forced the government of Israel to temporarily close the Temple Mount/Haram al Sharif to conduct its investigation".

Palestinian sources said that IOF were heavily depoloying at the gates of Al-Aqsa and preventing Palestinians from getting into the holy compound. In September 2000, then-Israeli opposition leader Ariel Sharon made a provocative visit to the site, sparking Palestinian protests that quickly escalated into armed clashes between Palestinians and Israeli soldiers.

Like this: