Published: Wed, August 02, 2017
Sports | By Nelson Rowe

Smith: Bangladesh tour will only go ahead if pay dispute is resolved

Smith: Bangladesh tour will only go ahead if pay dispute is resolved

According to local media reports, CA is on the verge of cracking an agreement with the players' union.

The Australian Cricketers' Association and Cricket Australia have been in intensive talks since Sunday but are yet to resolve a long-running pay dispute that has left around 230 players effectively unemployed after the previous five-year agreement expired in June.

Earlier, the players made a decision to boycott the Australia A tour of South Africa following Cricket Australia's failure to take any action to resolve a bitter pay dispute between the two governing bodies.

Australia captain Steve Smith told Fox Sports TV on Tuesday he was confident of a deal being brokered, but confirmed players would not travel to Bangladesh for a two-test tour starting this month until the dispute was resolved. Cricket Australia feels fixed percentage revenue model should be done away with as it undermines grassroots cricket funding but Australian cricketers believe the revenue model has been the real reason behind the game's growth in the country.

Smith did add though that "some really good progress" has been made in recent days and that a resolution could be found soon.

This has already been tested somewhat by Mitchell Starc using social media to promote a Mercedes Benz dealership in western Sydney, much to the chagrin of Toyota and may make overall sponsorship of tournaments such as the Big Bash League and ODI series untenable moving forward.

"CA know this, they've been told this. I told (CA's Executive GM of Team Performance) Pat Howard personally that this was how things were going to be if there wasn't a deal done".

Smith said Warner has nothing to fear regarding potential retribution from Howard and Cricket Australia (CA) chief James Sutherland.

The ACA has said during the negotiation period that the Ashes could be under threat even if an agreement was reached depending on the timing and the logistical turnaround afforded all parties on the back of reaching a deal, but it would be expected that, should an agreement be reached in the coming days, the Ashes will go ahead. "When this is all over with, I have to deal with Pat Howard, I have to deal with the (CA) Board and speak to James Sutherland so I have to be careful with what sort of lines I tread".

Cricket Australia has previously said that any players pursuing contracts with ICC-approved overseas clubs, such as those in the lucrative Indian Premier League or the many franchise-based Twenty20 leagues around the world, the players would need to the governing body's approval to take them up.

The players were paid from gross revenue for the past two decades, but CA now wants payments to come from a set pool, with players to share only in surplus revenue.

However, the ACA pointed out a series of concerns with the proposal, saying that it "disrespects the value of domestic cricketers and the role they play in Australian cricket".

Like this: