Published: Thu, August 03, 2017
Sports | By Nelson Rowe

Bangladesh tour on track after CA, ACA agree deal

Bangladesh tour on track after CA, ACA agree deal

Both were expected to attend a news conference scheduled later Thursday in Melbourne to outline details of how the players will be contracted.

A report on Cricket Australia's website said a deal was struck after negotiations between Cricket Australia Chief Executive James Sutherland and union boss Alistair Nicholson in Melbourne on Thursday morning.

Australia's leading 230 cricketers, out of contract since the end of June, have been reluctant to accept a proposed new payment structure ending their entitlement to a share of annual revenue. Cricket Australia wanted to scrap the revenue sharing model that has governed player salaries for 20 years.

The players have been demanding a larger slice of the money generated, particularly through television rights deals, and want a sharing model rather than a flat rate.

Steve Smith and his teammates will fly out for a two-Test series in Bangladesh on August 18. More importantly, so is The Ashes which starts on November 23.

The two had come to agreement on key issues earlier in the week, but were still in the process of ironing out several details.

The opening batsman said in May that Australia "might not have a team for the Ashes" if the dispute was not resolved.

Players took the unprecedented step of boycotting an Australia A tour last month and were prepared to take the same action for the Bangladesh series.

After 10 months of butting heads, the sports' worst industrial crisis in 40 years had accelerated towards a resolution following a threat last week by CA chief executive James Sutherland to have the matter ruled upon by independent arbitration.

Like this: