Published: Sat, August 19, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

Barcelona Terror Attack: European Markets Close Lower

Barcelona Terror Attack: European Markets Close Lower

Three Moroccan nationals have been injured during the Las Ramblas attack in Barcelona Thursday evening.

Another woman died after a auto rammed passersby in the resort town of Cambrils in the early hours of Friday, before police shot dead five attackers who were wearing fake explosive belts and had an axe and knives in the vehicle. They said they were looking for a man identified as Moussa Oukabir, who is either 17 or 18 years old; it was not clear if the police believe he was the driver.

Spanish media have named Moroccan-born Younes Abouyaaqoub as the suspected driver.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson announced Friday that one American citizen was killed in a terror attack in Barcelona, Spain.

In the wake of the horrific terror attacks in Spain this week, it has been revealed that things could have been much worse for the people of Barcelona and Cambrils as explosives were found in a house in Alcanar. Islamic State claimed the attack. Local authorities said that victims of the attack were from 34 nationalities. They say it is jihadi terrorism.

The incident in Cambrils came hours after a van attack in Barcelona, where 13 people were killed and more than 100 others were injured.

"We work with the hypothesis that the suspects were preparing both attacks for some time in this building of Alcanar".

Suspects in Spain's twin terror attacks had been planning an even bigger assault than the deadly vehicle rampages they carried out, police said, as distressing details emerged of families torn apart in the horror.

Meanwhile, Catalonian emergency services said the number of people wounded in the Barcelona attack and in another attack in the resort city of Cambrils has risen to 130.

Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and Spain's King Felipe visited Barcelona's main square nearby to observe a minute's silence.

Expressing his "deep emotion" over the attack, Le Drian said in a statement that he would travel to Barcelona on Friday "to visit the French victims of this cowardly act and affirm France's support to the Spanish people and authorities".

Like this: