Published: Sat, August 19, 2017
Culture | By Stewart Greene

Second Suspected Terrorist Attack Stopped In Spain

Second Suspected Terrorist Attack Stopped In Spain

Hours earlier a van ploughed along a road in the busy tourist area of Las Ramblas in Barcelona, killing at least 13 people and injuring more than 100.

Police seemed to believe the two attacks had been planned by a 12-member terrorist cell.

A total of 34 nationalities were among those affected.

Meanwhile, U.S. President Donald Trump said the world must use "whatever means necessary" to stop "radical Islamic terrorism".

During the attack in Barcelona an Australian boy, Julian Cadman, was separated from his mother Jom, who was badly hurt, and is still missing.

Six terrorists were killed either during or after the attacks, although there is still some confusion over whether the van attacker in Barcelona, is among them, said the ministry.

Authorities say terrorists who attacked two cities in Spain on Thursday were apparently planning a larger, more sophisticated assault. Police haven't confirmed that the man's brother was the driver of the van.

Some eight hours after the Barcelona attack, an Audi A3 auto hit pedestrians in the resort town of Cambrils, 120 kilometres (75 miles) to the south.

On Friday it emerged that another suspect Moussa Oukabir, who is thought to have rented the van, was among five men shot dead as they launched a second attack in the coastal town of Cambrils.

ISIS has no evidence that it was behind what happened in Las Ramblas, but claimed it was behind the attack.

The group had apparently planned to conduct a series of terrorist attacks in Barcelona, with a suspect mistakenly detonating an explosive and destroying the residence, police said.

A 74-year-old Portuguese woman was also among the dead, the government said, while a man called Tony Cadman launched a Facebook appeal for his seven-year-old grandson who is missing.

No suspected motive for that attack was given.

Expressing his "deep emotion" over the attack, Le Drian said in a statement that he would travel to Barcelona on Friday "to visit the French victims of this cowardly act and affirm France's support to the Spanish people and authorities". "It's not what they had in mind initially", Trapero said, according to Reuters.

Like this: