Published: Wed, September 13, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

More than 20000 EVACUATED following bomb threats in Moscow

More than 20000 EVACUATED following bomb threats in Moscow

Authorities say they received "almost simultaneous" warnings that more than a dozen public places had been rigged with explosives, and made a decision to evacuate.

More threats and evacuations were reported today, in cities ranging from Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in the Far East, across Siberia, to Kaliningrad on the Baltic Sea.

Russia has been hit with a series of hoax bomb warnings in recent days, with more than 45,000 people reportedly evacuated from locations in 22 Russian cities.

"People were evacuated at 30 sites, in total more than 20,000 people were taken outside, this number is still being specified", an emergency services official told Russian news agency TASS.

"There's never been anything like this before, it's 100 percent organized telephone terrorism", Frants Klintsevich, deputy head of the Defense Committee in the upper house of parliament, said in a telephone interview.

Numerous bomb threat calls came from Ukraine, according the news agency RIA.

Police are now emptying out the locations - including three main railway stations, a dozen shopping centres and at least one university campus. "It's possible this could be preparatory work for a serious terrorist attack".

Bomb threats were also issued for Moscow's three railway stations - Kazanskiy, Leningradskiy and Kievskiy. Three more Siberian cities evacuated shopping malls, government offices, schools and hospitals.

Some of the evacuated facilities had been searched by the time of reporting.

Like this: