Published: Sun, September 17, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

Manhunt on for London bomber as threat level raised

Manhunt on for London bomber as threat level raised

British authorities combed a London suburb on Saturday after the arrest of an 18-year-old man suspected of ties to a bombing on the city's subway a day earlier.

Theresa May said the threat was now critical, meaning an attack is expected imminently, after a device was detonated at Parsons Green station. The explosive device was built "with a timer" and contained the explosive triacetone triperoxide (TATP), and nails.

The explosion at Parsons Green station in south-west London sparked a "wall of fire" that left passengers with burns and caused a stampede of panicking people in which some were trampled.

Home secretary Amber Rudd described the arrest as "very significant". "It was good fortunate that it did so little damage, in fact".

Following the attack, media reported, citing sources, that the police had identified the suspect behind the attack with the help of CCTV camera recordings.

"We are still pursing numerous lines of enquiry and at a great pace", counterterrorism co-ordinator Neil Basu of the London police said late Saturday.

Following the attack, Prime Minister Theresa May announced the United Kingdom terrorism threat level was raised from "severe" to "critical.' 'Critical" is the highest threat level.

He asked the public to remain "vigilant", but said people should "not be alarmed".

"For strong investigative reasons we will not give any more details on the man we arrested at this stage". The last time the threat level was raised to critical was in May following an attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

Armed British police officers stand on duty outside Parsons Green underground tube station in west London on September 15, 2017, following an incident on an underground tube carriage at the station. "Carry on with your business but be alert, don't be alarmed but make sure you tell us anything that worries you".

Like this: