Published: Sun, September 17, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

Protesters break window in St. Louis mayor's house

Protesters break window in St. Louis mayor's house

Saturday (16 September) saw a second day of demonstrations as 300 people joined a march at the West County Centre Mall in the Missouri city.

Mr Smith was shot five times in his auto after trying to flee Stockley and his partner, following an alleged drug deal, authorities said.

"Orders to disperse were given numerous times", O'Toole said. I'm committed to protecting everyone's constitutional right to protest peacefully, while also protecting people's lives, homes, and communities.

A former St. Louis police officer who was caught on tape saying meant to kill a man in December 2011 was found not guilty Friday for the shooting death of Anthony Lamar Smith almost six years ago. The vast majority of Friday's protest groups did not engage in any property damage, and most of the 23 arrested were released as of Saturday morning.

Judge Timothy Wilson's ruling was announced more than five weeks after the bench trial ended. "I can't speak for no one else, but I know the system didn't work on behalf of Anthony Lamar Smith".

After a brief chase, Smith crashed and Stockley shot him dead as the suspect allegedly reached for a gun.

Stockley had said he acted in self-defence and believed Smith was reaching for a gun in his auto, but prosecutors accused the officer of planting a silver revolver to justify the shooting. The officer fired five times into Smith's auto. Prosecutors said the officer planted a gun in Smith's auto after the shooting. He left the force in 2013 and has since moved to Houston, Texas. An FBI expert testified that one shot was sacked at Smith from less than six inches away, KMOV reports. The weapon had none of the dead man's DNA on it but Stockey's fingerprints were picked up.

Media reports and preparation announcements from officials indicate that Wilson may rule Friday.

The Governor of Missouri, Eric Greitens spoke out about the mayhem saying, "Assaulting a law enforcement officer is not a peaceful protest". Police are working 12-hour shifts, starting Friday. Upon the announcement of the verdict, protests were made throughout the city.

Like this: