Published: Wed, October 18, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

Passengers criticize AirAsia crew reaction during rapid descent

Passengers criticize AirAsia crew reaction during rapid descent

Another passenger, Mark Bailey, added: "They went hysterical".

AirAsia Group chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes (pic), who got married over the weekend, has taken to Twitter to defend the actions of the crew on board flight QZ535 from Perth to Denpasar.

Video shows a cabin crew member yelling: "Passengers get down, get down". "I sent a message to my family, hoping to get it", said a flight passenger on Channel Nine with tears in his eyes.

Another passenger, meanwhile, told news outlets that those who were on the flight were actually quite calm before the crew started screaming.

A passenger cries at an airport in Perth, Australia after an Indonesia AirAsia flight from Australia to the holiday island of Bali returned to the airport.

CNN reported yesterday that AirAsia told CNN in an email that the flight was diverted after a "technical issue".

Flight QZ535 returned safely on Sunday to Perth Airport where numerous 145 passengers spoke to media about the fear and confusion on board.

Clare Askew, a passenger aboard the flight, shared with CNN that the panic was heightened because of the unprofessional behavior of the cabin crew.

"The safety of passengers and crew is our priority", the airline said.

"We commend our pilots for landing the aircraft safely and complying with standard operating procedure", said Capt. Ling Liong Tien, AirAsia Group's head of safety. Those instructions conform to crew instructions in case of an emergency, but the instructions were so panic-filled it was hard to believe those instructions were correct, according to one of the Australian passengers.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau has begun investigating the incident.

Many passengers complained that they couldn't understand what was being said because it was in different language. "We both reconfirmed with each other when we were on the ground".

The plane's quick drop was related to depressurization, so it descended from 34,000 feet to 10,000 feet to deal with the issue. "It was really upsetting". Passenger Mark Bailey said he wasn't anxious until he viewed the reaction of the crew. "Nothing for about five minutes and then the oxygen fell down".

Like this: