Published: Sat, October 21, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

Three Dead, 10 Still Buried In Penang Landslide

Three Dead, 10 Still Buried In Penang Landslide

Two of the estimated 18 people feared buried in the landslide were rescued.

"I was operating the crane when suddenly the earth caved in".

The bodies of two of the victims were found at 10 am and the rescuers are still trying to extricate the body of another victim that had been found.

"There was hardly time to do anything", he added.

Penang Island City Council mayor Maimunah Sharif said it was not clear what caused the accident but ruled out the possibility of wet weather as there had not been heavy rains for some days.

The Star Online said the surface of the hill collapsed at about 8.30am. One Malaysian, the construction site supervisor, was believed to be buried as well.

The Penang government will hold a full state inquiry into the causes of the accident which led to a massive landslide at a construction site in Tanjung Bungah, which claimed three lives. But it can not be due to wet weather. It is believed that almost 15 to 20 victims were buried in the landlside.

MBPP issued a stop-work order on the construction site until the search and rescue is completed.

Many foreigners work in low-paying, physically-demanding industries such as construction in Malaysia.

Mohammad Jashim Husseif Ahmad, 27, said there were about 20 people at the scene. As at press time, three bodies have been recovered from the landslide. The Penang Fire and Rescue Department believe 14 others are still trapped.

"They must also engage an independent third party to verify that all existing buildings around Tanjung Bungah hill-side are safe".

Security forces conduct a rescue operation at a construction site after a landslide in Penang, Malaysia, Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017.

Like this: