Published: Tue, November 14, 2017
Science | By Hubert Green

Android 8.0 Oreo sees a measly gain in November distribution numbers

Android 8.0 Oreo sees a measly gain in November distribution numbers

Nearly six weeks after debuting on the distribution numbers, Google's latest operating system only rose a tenth of a percentage point.

The Android distribution numbers for the month of November have been released by Google.

Google's Project Treble promises to help speed up vendor releases of new Android versions, but the benefits of this technology will probably take several years, since only devices that ship with Android Oreo can take advantage of it.

Android Oreo is here. While Oreo is advancing at a snail's pace, it should begin picking up speed as more people get their hands on the newest flagship devices such as the Pixel 2, Pixel 2 Xl, and Mate 10 Pro, among others that launched running Android 8 Oreo.

The updated Android distribution numbers confirm that Android 7.0 is now present on 17.6 percent of active devices while Android 7.1 is present on 3 percent devices, making the total number as 20.6 percent. This feature is activated when a device runs low on storage space, and this is how it works - after a length of time specified by Android, applications that haven't been used in a while are marked as inactive.

Android Lollipop has a total of 27.2 percentage points, which includes 6.4 per cent devices on Android 5.0, while 20.8 per cent devices are on Android 5.1 Lollipop.

Additionally, back in 2014 Google had only just passed one billion active monthly users, which rose to 1.4 billion by mid-2015, and as of May 2017 stood at two billion. KitKat is at 13.8% and Jelly Bean fell to 6.2%. Android Ice Cream Sandwich and Gingerbread are running on 0.5 per cent devices each.

Like this: