Published: Fri, November 17, 2017
Sports | By Nelson Rowe

Rafael Nadal wins case against former France sports minister

Rafael Nadal wins case against former France sports minister

The ex-minister from 2007-2010 alleged that Nadal had faked an injury in 2012, when he missed the final six months of the season due to knee problems, in order to hide a positive drug test.

Following the verdict, Nadal expressed that he has utmost respect and confidence on the French legal system.

After filing the lawsuit, Nadal asked the International Tennis Federation to disclose the results of all doping tests he has ever taken.

"The French justice has resolved the case in favour of my honesty and integrity as a sports player".

"So this is the time to go against her, we're going to sue her, and from this day on I tell you that everyone who has another comment in this way, it's going to happen the same".

World number one Rafael Nadal was awarded €12,000 damages on Thursday after a French court found in his favour over comments made by the country's former sports minister. He had sought 100,000 euros in damages and explained a year ago that he had made a decision to take legal action to set an example, having previously ignored allegations against him.

"The motive as I said at the time was never about money", Sport24 quoted Nadal as saying.

"The entire amount of the sentence will go to social work in France", he said.

The tribunal found that Roselyne Bachelot, who served as the minister of health and sports between 2007 and 2010, defamed the 16-time grand slam victor during a March 2016 television appearance in France.

Nadal had sought £89,000 and wanted to set an example by taking legal action.

Like this: