Published: Thu, December 07, 2017
World | By Paul Elliott

Newborn dies 7 days after mistakenly declared dead by Delhi hospital

Newborn dies 7 days after mistakenly declared dead by Delhi hospital

Seven days after a 22-week-premature baby was delivered by a 20-year-old mother in Max Hospital in Shalimar Bagh and wrongly declared dead by the hospital, the infant passed away in a private nursing home in Pitampura on Wednesday. The boy was pronounced dead two hours later, said Praveen Mail, the baby's grandfather.

On the way to cremate the babies' remains, the family was shocked to discover that the boy was still breathing inside one of the bags holding the newborns' bodies. The family called him "Champ" after his miraculous survival. "I was shocked. I couldn't believe my eyes", Malik said in a previous CNN report. It was then they realised that their baby boy was still alive.

Father of the baby, Ashish Kumar, alleged that the baby acquired severe infection from the incident and that doctors at Max Hospital were responsible for the fate of his child. "We are in constant touch with the parents and are providing all the needed support".

Malik's family had reportedly asked for financial assistance from the government to move the newborn to a "bigger and better" hospital than India's Delhi New Born Center, where the baby was being treated.

Malik said the family had requested financial assistance from the Delhi government to move the baby to a "bigger and better" facility.

In response to the Delhi government's report, Max Healthcare said in a statement, "We would like to thoroughly review the final report when we receive it before commenting". The infant died on Wednesday, December 6. However, Dr Sanjeev Gupta of Aggarwal Hospital said that baby was of just 22 weeks and it was hard for him to survive from the start as he needed too much support. "Had the baby not been exposed for so many hours after his birth, maybe we could have probably prolonged his life", Gupta added.

Delhi state government had ordered an inquiry into the incident and the preliminary report found that the hospital had not followed protocols. But to their utter horror, the the boy was still alive, while they were on way to do their final rites. "We wish them the strength to cope with their loss", the statement read.

On Sunday, Max Hospital terminated the services of two doctors who were involved in erroneously declaring the newborn dead on November 29.

Like this: