Published: Wed, December 20, 2017
Sports | By Nelson Rowe

Motorspoprt: New mayor cancels Montreal e-Prix


The organizers of the Formula E auto race have expressed their disappointment at the City of Montreal's decision to pull the plug on the controversial event.

It was due to host the final round again next summer, but this was thrown into doubt when Montreal elected a new mayor, Valerie Plante. Plante believed that going forward with the race would have cost considerably more, though, and argued that it has always been clear that the Formula E race was headed for a "financial fiasco".

As per the report from CBC, "Montreal it's electric", the non-profit organization behind the race, still owes creditors $6.2 million CAD following last year's race, and is only expected to get further into the red with a second running of the race in 2018. It was also a matter of principle, the mayor said - Montreal can't waste taxpayers' money on "poorly planed projects that don't serve them".

Formula E was "surprised and disappointed" by the decision. These cost overruns are all on top of the city's commitment of $24 million over six years. Formula E races in Berlin, Paris, New York, Monaco, Marrakesh and Hong Kong used no public funding at all.

Originally, the idea of moving the race to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve was floated, which seemed like a no-brainer.

She also said that the city had offered to build a new racetrack, or suspend the event for one year and then hold it at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve-the Formula One track on Île-Notre-Dame.

Plante admitted to the CBC that she knew there would be some cost to cancelling the deal they had to host the race, but believes that it would be less expensive than continuing to work with organizers who were already unable to pay their bills.

The double-header finale of the 2017-18 Formula E championship in Montreal has been cancelled.

Like this: