Published: Sun, February 11, 2018
World | By Paul Elliott

18 lifeless after Hong Kong bus topples over

18 lifeless after Hong Kong bus topples over

Before the crash, passengers had complained to the driver who was reportedly 10 minutes late and he then started speeding up, the Apple Daily reported, quoting injured passengers at the scene.

At least 19 people have been killed and 47 injured after a double-decker bus overturned in Hong Kong, while 27 people died when a tourist bus plunged from a hill in Indonesia.

Rescuers cut open the top of the bus to save the passengers trapped inside.

On Saturday, the route 872 bus had been on its way from Shatin racecourse to Tai Po.

A police spokeswoman said 15 men and three women were killed in the accident, which local media reports say happened when the bus tipped over on Saturday evening.

The site of the accident has been cordoned off, while an investigation is underway.

"The 30-year-old male bus driver was arrested for risky driving causing death and unsafe driving causing grievous bodily harm".

Images from the scene showed the passenger bus lying on its side.

Hong Kong's double-decker buses can accommodate around 140 seated and standing passengers, depending upon the model.

The passengers were not identified by name.

The South China Morning Post newspaper said it was the Asian financial center's deadliest traffic accident since a 2003 bus crash that killed 21 people.

Like this: