Published: Mon, February 12, 2018
World | By Paul Elliott

Philippines imposes 'total ban' on citizens taking up jobs in Kuwait

Philippines imposes 'total ban' on citizens taking up jobs in Kuwait

This is the fourth batch of OFWs who were repatriated amid a deployment ban issued by the Department of Labor and Employment in compliance with the order of President Duterte to stop sending workers to Kuwait.

She said she has been applying for assistance from the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait since last year.A mother of five from Palawan, Montargo said she is happy that the government did not just help them to come home, but also told them they would be given cash, which they could use as capital for a small business.However, she admitted that she still wants to work overseas.

The Philippine foreign affairs department said on Monday that authorities were repatriating 10,000 overstaying Filipinos from Kuwait under an amnesty programme arranged with the Kuwaiti government.

The tough-talking leader said his suspension on sending workers to Kuwait, announced in January after a series of deaths of Filipino workers, would remain indefinitely.

"I want them out of the country, those who want to go out in 72 hours", the Philippine President added.

Meanwhile, Kuwait's interior ministry denied on Monday social media reports that security personnel escorted Filipino domestic workers from citizens' houses against their will.

Filipina migrant workers protest in Hong Kong. Source Ye Hanzhang  Shutterstock
Filipina migrant workers protest in Hong Kong. Source Ye Hanzhang Shutterstock

"Cebu Pacific is mounting a special charter flight from Kuwait to Manila for free".

Cebu Pacific Air will also send a plane to Kuwait to bring home more distressed OFWs while PAL is willing to add extra flights to Kuwait as needed.

On the other hand, the flag carrier will be using their 363-seater Airbus A330. "Thus, I became aware of the good news, that the government would help us come back home", she shared. It is the flag carrier's privilege to be of service to those in need.

According to the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA), a total of 49 OFWs have arrived today from Kuwait via flight PR 669.

Bello earlier suspended the processing of new employment certificates for Kuwait-bound OFWs after the recent deaths of 7 migrant Filipino workers, including a Filipina whose body was unearthed in a freezer.

Bello also said that the Philippines may reconsider its decision if Kuwait signs a memorandum of agreement guaranteeing the protection of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs).

Like this: