Published: Thu, February 15, 2018
World | By Paul Elliott

Médecins Sans Frontières reveals sex abuse cases as Oxfam scandal widens

Médecins Sans Frontières reveals sex abuse cases as Oxfam scandal widens

Several staff were sacked or resigned in 2011 over a string of lurid claims, including that they had used prostitutes while delivering aid to earthquake-hit Haiti. Het Nieuwsblad contacted the 68-year-old man who feels very downcast.

He was hired in 2014 and provided two references, including one sent from a private email account by someone who said they had been his manager at Oxfam.

When she saw an initial report about Van Hauwermeiren in The Times newspaper last week, she remembered thinking: "Oh my God, he's been doing this for 14 years". "It is not that I deny everything". "Everything I see everywhere is hard to bear and pains me".

There were reports on Wednesday that there had already been complaints about Van Hauwermeiren and his use of prostitutes when he was working for the British medical charity Merlin in Liberia before joining Oxfam.

"There are things that are correctly described".

"He is also saddened by the impact of the allegations on the many thousands of good people who have supported Oxfam's righteous work", the statement read.

"Parties every week? Fancy villas?"

A spokeswoman for Oxfam said Singh was one of the men fired by the charity in August 2011, following revelations of sexual misconduct while he was working for the charity in Haiti in 2011 following the natural disaster. Women paid with money from the organisation?"Van Hauwermeiren told the paper that he would respond further through a lawyer in due course, adding: "It is especially tough that my family no longer want to see me."Reuters could not reach Van Hauwermeiren for comment".

However, the charity stressed the sacking "was not related to sexual misconduct and was not connected to the case in 2011".

South African Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu stepped down as an ambassador for Oxfam on Thursday, citing disappointment at the British aid agency's embroilment in a sex scandal involving staff in Haiti after a massive 2010 natural disaster.

Speaking in Stockholm yesterday, Mordaunt said the revelations about Oxfam - which received £31.7m in taxpayer funding past year - should be a "wake-up call" for the sector.

The charity sector has come under increased scrutiny in Britain after the UK's worldwide development secretary Penny Mordaunt threatened to cut funding to any organisation that fails to ensure the highest standards are met on its staff members behaviour.

Ms Mordaunt will meet with the boss of the National Crime Agency on Thursday in response to Oxfam's crisis.

Oxfam's deputy chief executive Penny Lawrence has resigned, while the Charity Commission has launched a statutory inquiry into the organisation.

Like this: