Published: Thu, February 15, 2018
World | By Paul Elliott

Russia May Block Youtube And Instagram

Russia May Block Youtube And Instagram

The Google-owned video sharing giant has responded by threatening to delete the open source videos and Instagram posts that form the backbone of Navalny's inquiry.

His latest offering is centered on Instagram posts and a book written by a woman who goes by Nastya Rybka, who talks about how she seeks to work as an escort for oligarchs.

The lawsuit in question was filed on February 9 against Anastasia Vashukevich and Alexander Kirillov, who had posted private photos of Oleg Deripaska on their social media accounts, as well as audio recordings of his conversations, thus violating his privacy.

Navalny, a vocal foe of Putin who has organized large street protests on several occasions and published a series of reports alleging corruption in Russia's ruling elite, has been barred from the presidential race due to a conviction on financial-crimes charges he contends were fabricated by the Kremlin to sideline him.

Deripaska also has past ties to President Trump's former campaign manager Paul Manafort, now indicted by the special counsel investigating alleged Russian interference in the 2016 us election campaign. 12 Feb, videos and photos were still available on YouTube and Instagram.

But since many internet providers don't have the technical capability to block specific URLs, complying with the order would mean removing access to YouTube and Instagram entirely. According to Navalny's video, Rybka's posts and book show that metals magnate Oleg Deripaska treated Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Prikhodko to a lavish weekend aboard his yacht in the days leading up to the 2016 USA election.

The materials show Deripaska and Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Prikhodko meeting on Deripaska's yacht in 2016, Navalny says.

Mr Navalny is Russia's most prominent opposition leader.

The material was said to have been sourced from a woman's Instagram account, where it had been posted in 2016.

Roskomnadzor confirmed the website had been added to a list of banned pages that service providers are required to block, in comments to Russian news agencies. In total, following Oleg Deripaska's request, the Ust-Labinsk District Court of the Krasnodar Region made a decision to mark 14 Instagram posts by Rybka as forbidden, but she removed majority herself a few days ago.

Google subsequently wrote to Mr Navalny's team saying it might be forced to block the videos.

A February 14 deadline that Navalny said was set by Roskomnadzor passed without incident, but reports that navalny.com was inaccessible for many in Russian Federation began flowing in on February 15. "If you take any of my anti-corruption investigations or any points from my political platform, I'm sure the majority of Russian citizens would support me - and that's why I wasn't allowed to run".

Like this: