Published: Mon, March 12, 2018
Science | By Hubert Green

Apple to Launch New Entry-Level MacBook Soon

Apple to Launch New Entry-Level MacBook Soon

The revised 13.3-incher is reportedly aiming for a price tag around the "same level as that of the existing MacBook Air or slightly higher".

Just in time for back-to-school shopping, Apple is expected to unveil a cheaper new MacBook at a price that's comparable to the current (and ancient) MacBook Air. This should also be accompanied by a slightly more pricey version toting double the storage at 256GB. According to the report, the 13-inch MacBook will feature a 2560×1600 panel, with a 226 PPI density - the same as the 13-inch MacBook Pro. These are thought to be for a new MacBook Air, which now comes with a 1,440 x 900 resolution screen.

The Digitimes report also points to Apple refreshing its iPad line in the second quarter and releasing a new iPad Pro during the latter part of 2018.

Whilst it seems like it will be cheaper than the current 12-inch MacBook which costs $1299, Digitimes is not very precise when it comes to pricing. It's possible that Apple could keep the Air around, too, and reduce its price, but we doubt it given the dated components and ports.

Additionally, the source claims that the panels are going to be sourced from LG Display due to issues from Apple's Chinese supplier.

A non-descriptive rumor about a MacBook Air refresh surfaced earlier this month from KGI claiming its to debut in Q2. Quanta Computer's set to assemble 70% of orders and Foxconn the remaining 30%.

Perhaps when the new accessibly priced MacBook reaches the market in June it will sport one of Apple's new patented keyboard designs. Apple is expected to release the new 9.7-inch iPad in the second quarter of 2018, and the new iPad Pro in the second half of the year.

Like this: