Published: Wed, March 14, 2018
World | By Paul Elliott

Siale Angilau Shot In Courtroom After Attacking Witness

Siale Angilau Shot In Courtroom After Attacking Witness

A federal judge released courtroom video Monday of the fatal shooting of a defendant who attacked a witness with a pen during a 2014 racketeering trial.

It shows Angilau, a member of the Tongan Crip gang, calmly rising from his seat beside his attorney during the witness testimony and grabbing his lawyer's pen.

"Angilau was in custody, but he essentially had escaped custodial control for those seconds during which he was executing his plan to assault the witness", the judge wrote in a ruling obtained by Deseret News. "His attack was stopped by the shots that Jane Doe rapidly fired, in less than one and one-half seconds".

A United States marshal fired four times at close range at the defendant inside as he rushed to the witness stand, jumped and swung with a pen at a shackled witness.

THIS shocking footage reveals the moment a Crips gang member is shot dead in court after launching at a witness with a pen.

In the video the officer is seen reaching for her gun and firing four shots at Angilau. An oficer out of shot yells "drop the pen". At that point, the video cuts out.

Faces of nearly all the people present inside the courtroom at the time, including the judge is blurred in the video.

Angilau's family wanted a jury to see the video to see if the marshal used appropriate force after the Federal Bureau of Investigation found the shooting was justified.

"Those last three shots were all after he's been shot once down on the ground in the back. There was no necessity to use force", he told KSL.

While Angilau's family decides if they will appeal the decision, their attorney is happy the public will at least see the video.

The judge also ordered the release of the courtroom video, which had been requested by various news outlets under the Freedom of Information Act and the First Amendment.

However, Judge Dowdell said that the marshal - referred to as Jane Doe - stopped the attack. A wrongful death lawsuit by Angilau's family was dismissed on the same day.

The Utah Media Coalition fought for a year for Dowdell to release the footage, according to KUTV in Salt Lake City.

Like this: